2007 Jan 07 16:31

Re: [vox-tech] new gaming computer

Thanks!  It sounds like we have the same target price.  Was there a reason
why you chose Intel's dual core over the Athlon 64 FX dual core?  Did you
build it before AMD released their dual core?
A friend told me that the intel core 2 duo is cooler and can be implemented for either 32 or 64 bit.

When I first started building pcs backintheday I tried the amd cpus and had crash after crash. I then went to intel and my crashes were eliminated. This is not to say that one was better than the other, just problems that I personally had. For that reason I stuck with Intel.

I've read that the Intels were easier to overclock with conventional cooling
(i.e. not using liquid nitrogen(???)) but the AMDs were considerably more
energy efficient (looks to be about a third).
Intel is easily overclockable but you still need sufficient cooling, be it fan or water or nitro. Stock fan is just adequate for stock settings. Zalman makes a kick ass fan perfect for either amd or intel.

That's quite a video card you have in that thang.   :)

Nice PS too!  It got rave reviews.  I really like their cases, too.

And what made you decide on that mobo?
I tried the evga 680i mobo because it was the same mfg of my gpu. It really has a lot of nice features for overclocking however some things, like internet bios upgrade, is non existant. No big. It really supports sli technology. One of these days I will get another 8800gtx and sli it. Why? Gee I dont know. Maybe its because this is my one and only hobby and my wife totally understands this.

My true intent was to have my pc as an entertainment system in which I can watch tv shows, record them, dvd, hdtv, and all look good on my tv. From research that I have done I find that I won't get the same quality of picture thru my pc that if it was direct feed, be it cable, antenna or whathaveyou, no matter what components I have.

I have however played half life 2 on my 50 inch samsung dlp hdtv and it was stellar. It was amazing how it looked. I want to get the 40 in. samsung lcd tv for our upstair computer room (thats where the pc is) but I will have to work on an awful lot of cars.

Lastly, I'll be using Linux on this thing.  Do you have Linux on your
machine?  How'd it go?
I have been a lugod member poser for years. I have tried several flavors and found some of them extremly user friendly like pclinuxos, suse and debian to some degree. I have tried to load different flavors on this rig but can't seem to get it right. It seems that my gpu drivers always stop me in my tracks. Sure there are drivers on the nvidia web site and even a place for suse to automagically d/l and configure my gpu but for some reason I cannot seem to get it right. I also found out that nvidia licensing prohibits the drivers to be in linux pkgs.

Maybe I can bring it to the next installfest IF they have some sort of wifi internet. W/o internet I won't be able to research or d/l what is needed for the genius that will be helping me get 3d working.

I would really like to get pclinux working because I am very familiar with it. On my last pc I was able to get 3d working and was even able to watch, edit and even save/burn dvd's, be it copywrited or not. Plus it has bittorent, synaptic w/ fresh cutting edge supositories, frostwire and other things all rolled up into one. It was soo user friendly.

Thanks very much!
Pete