2007 Jan 07 15:01

Re: [vox-tech] new gaming computer

On Sun 07 Jan 07, 12:21 PM, Jimbo <evesautomotive@charter.net> said:
> Just made a gaming rig:
> evga 8800glx nvidia chipset gpu (hdmi and dx10 capable)
> evga 680i nvidia chipset sli mb
> corsair dominator 800 ddr2 2G memory
> WD raptor 150GB HD
> intel core 2 duo 6700 cpu
> silverstone "zeuz" psu 800W (good headroom for sli and extra cooling
> devices)
>
> Games I run:
> Half Life 2, episode 1
> Prey
> Oblivion
> Fear
> Far Cry (one of my favorites)
> Ghost recon "Advanced Warfare"
>
> Games I want:
> Crysis
>
> My hardware cost aprox 2600 clams.  Love it.  I get an average 3dmark06
> score of 10450 and overclocked I got 11610.  I have to get watercooling and
> will mod my case but will have to do it in the summer :(  .
>
> My gpu alone was 600 bones!  Nice card but I wish'd I got the bfg 8800gtx
> water cooled ver. instead.  These babies run very hot-mine measures 80 deg
> C when loaded!  These cards will come down in the next 4 months.
>
> I did a bit of research before I got these parts.  System works flawlessly.
>
> One thing that I did have to fight:
> Cleaning out old gpu driver and installing new driver.  Had to use a
> utility called Driver Cleaner Pro.  After that no problems.  Oh yea,
> updated the bios.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks!  It sounds like we have the same target price.  Was there a reason
why you chose Intel's dual core over the Athlon 64 FX dual core?  Did you
build it before AMD released their dual core?

I've read that the Intels were easier to overclock with conventional cooling
(i.e. not using liquid nitrogen(???)) but the AMDs were considerably more
energy efficient (looks to be about a third).

That's quite a video card you have in that thang.   :)

Nice PS too!  It got rave reviews.  I really like their cases, too.

And what made you decide on that mobo?

Lastly, I'll be using Linux on this thing.  Do you have Linux on your
machine?  How'd it go?

Thanks very much!
Pete