Re: [vox-tech] wireless networking

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 10:59:37PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a consumer wireless network card that reaches
> wired ethernet speed?

There are several types of standards but these are probably the ones
you're interested in:

Wired ethernet LAN speeds: 10baseT is 10Mbps max.  100baseT is 100Mbps
max.  1000baseT, now quite affordable, is 1000Mbps max.

Wireless LAN speeds: 802.11b can reach 11Mbps max.  802.11g can reach
54Mbps max.  802.11n can reach 540Mbps max.

There is more noise on wireless connections so the "max" on wireless is
not as "max" as the "max" on the wired connections =P  802.11b feels
a lot like 5Mbps to me most of the time.

When on wireless networks, I'm usually on the 802.11b network.  Based on
the speed experiences I've had on 10baseT, 100baseT, and 802.11b, I
think I'd be content with 802.11g wireless network, though I don't ever
recall being on a 802.11g network.

-Mark