Re: [vox-tech] Win98 Dilemma

Rod Roark wrote:
On Sunday 17 December 2006 00:04, Alex Mandel wrote:

One alternative is to run win98 in a vmware virtual machine when you
need to and you can run the internet connection through your linux side
with a nice firewall/filters to keep you safe. And if you do hose it
with a virus you can just restore it with a image save.
Good suggestion.  About the only Windows programs I ever use these
days are TaxCut, and IE for testing web apps that I develop.  For
these the free VMware Player does the job nicely.
I can't endorse giving a non-patched version of Windows access to the
internet, even for short periods of time.  Although a hardware firewall
can protect against some of the more egregious weaknesses, there are just
too many ways for a browser to suck trojans in, and then your network
is effectively exposed.

I think that if you need proprietary software... pay the owner on their
terms.  If you can't accept those terms, you know what to do.

Sure would be nice to find some good open source tax software.
Seems like a nice idea, but it has to be updated every single year, in
a timely manner, and it has to be accurate, before people start
using it. I don't object to paying for an online service for this.