Re: [vox-tech] problem encountered when creating a ramdisk

On Sunday 17 December 2006 00:17, Hai Yi wrote:
> hey peter:
> first, thank you very much! after reading your post, I did the
> following things: I ran the make bzImage to create a vmlinuz in the
> boot and I saw its corresponding system map as well (without doing
> any additional work), and I modified menu.1st and added the new
> kernel's entry.
>
> However, here comes the problem. I found the last line of each entry
> is about the initrd.img, I can find 2.4.17's initrd.img from /boot,
> but as I mentioned earlier, I couldn't create the initrd.img for my
> new kernel.
>
> Ignoring this line for the new kernel's entry in menu.1st or using
> the old kernel's initrd.img for the new entry would cause kernel
> panic, whatsoever.
>
> Good news is that I eventually created this file using:
>  mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.13 2.6.8.13
>
> and added it to the menu.1st. Then the new kernel is installed and
> worked! and I used uname -r to verify the installation.
>
> Bad news is that the usb port has problem - I couldn't make the mouse
> work. I guess it's a bout the configuration. But how come this was
> not the problem for my old kernel? I used the same configuration, I
> think.
>
> Basically, I followed this link to compile the new kernel:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

UGH. Don't follow those directions they're way too wordy, and not Debian
enough. They really don't know the Debian way to create a kernel.

You can do it all in just a couple lines, assuming you have
kernel-package and yaird (or initramfs-tools) already installed:

(as root)
# cd /path/to/kernel/sources
# rm -rf debian/ stamp-*
# make-kpkg --append-to-version=-default1 --config=menuconfig \
  --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers
# dpkg -i ../linux-image...deb ../linux-headers...deb
(the exact names for the dpkg -i command will depend on the kernel
version you're installing)

And there's no need to edit menu.lst, as Debian should do it for you.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/