Re: [vox-tech] Firefox and VNC

Alex Mandel wrote:
Norm Matloff wrote:
I use VNC a lot.  I have now encountered an odd problem with Firefox in
the VNC context.

Recently I have tried to fire up (no pun intended) Firefox within VNC,
I get a message "Firefox is already running, but not responding,"
followed by a statement that I should close my Firefox window or restart
the system.  But there seems to be no Firefox process running.  (Though
I do recall that it "died a violent death" the last time I used it.)
I need to read more carefully, you may need to look at the process list as a higher level user.
sudo ps -A

Or as Ken noted some random temp file.

As to restarting the system, I seem to recall under some VNC versions
one could do a "reboot." But I don't see a way to do this under this
verion, which is RealVNC. Killing vncserver definitely does not work.

This is all happening on the student lab machines in my department at
UCD. They're running Fedora Core 5.

Any ideas? Maybe there is some file which Firefox left there before,
which needs to be deleted?

Norm
Maybe there's a lurking hung process. Check to make sure there isn't and if there is kill it.
ps -A
That usually solves that problem for me on both linux and windows and with much more than just Firefox.

Alex
Also give safemode a shot.
firefox -safemode
I think(but could be wrong)