[vox-tech] Firefox and VNC

I use VNC a lot.  I have now encountered an odd problem with Firefox in
the VNC context.

Recently I have tried to fire up (no pun intended) Firefox within VNC,
I get a message "Firefox is already running, but not responding,"
followed by a statement that I should close my Firefox window or restart
the system.  But there seems to be no Firefox process running.  (Though
I do recall that it "died a violent death" the last time I used it.)

As to restarting the system, I seem to recall under some VNC versions
one could do a "reboot."  But I don't see a way to do this under this
verion, which is RealVNC.  Killing vncserver definitely does not work.

This is all happening on the student lab machines in my department at
UCD.  They're running Fedora Core 5.

Any ideas?  Maybe there is some file which Firefox left there before,
which needs to be deleted?

Norm