Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

På 2006-12-07, skrev David Rosenstrauch:
[...]
> Turn off DHCP serving on the router.  Then pick one of your linux boxes
> to be your new DHCP plus DNS server for the LAN.  Then install and
> configure dnsmasq (http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html) on that
> box, and it will solve your problem.  Dnsmasq is a perfect little util
> for exactly this situation: a small DHCP server which has a built-in DNS
> server - unlike most small LAN routers, as you've seen.
>
> I've been using dnsmasq for a few years now, and it works like a charm.
>  It took a little bit of trial and error at first to configure it
> right, but after that it was "set it and forget it".  If you have any
> probs. configuring it (or want to see a copy of my config), email me
> back on or off-list.

I concurr with the recommendation to use dnsmasq. I did not find it
particularly difficult to configure. (I'm using it for DNS only, with
dhcpd version 3 running separately for address assignment.) A feature of
dnsmasq worth noting is that it can set MX records for all hosts, which
makes mail routing within your private network work easily.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13