Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:09:33AM -0800, p@dirac.org wrote:
> Now that I no longer have predictable IP addresses on the home
> network, how
> do I accomplish something like:
>
>    satan$ ssh p@lucifer
>
> when there's no longer a valid /etc/hosts file?

Why don't you have a valid /etc/hosts file anymore?  Is satan inside or
outside the LAN?  The solution seems to depend on the network setup, but
why not just setup static IP on each computer on the LAN and give them
hosts file to point to the valid IPs?  If you insist on using the DHCP
server for each computer on the LAN, it's easy enough to configure the
DHCP server to give out the same IP to the same computer each time based
on the MAC address (google for instructions if you use a linux NAT box,
or if you use a gateway router it may come with such feature... or it
may not.)

-Mark