Re: [vox-tech] Slow pdf printing

Henry House wrote:
På 2006-12-05, skrev Alex Mandel:
As of late it seems like my pdf printing is crawling.
I don't remember it ever being so slow in the past but maybe it liked smaller size pdfs.

I noticed that sometimes I get and Operand Stack error mid job, these seem related to the source of those particular pdfs. So I tried pdf2ps, I get a 70MB ps out of a 1.0MB pdf, that seems to explain a lot but how do I fix it?
There are two different PDF-to-PS converters available with similar
names: ps2pdf, which is Ghostscript, and pstopdf, which is the Xpdf
libraries. In my experience pstopdf produces smaller postscript that is
compatible with more printers. Note that many postscript printers
(including this one as far as I can tell) use a non-Adobe implementation
of postscript, which in my experience often means that the device is
finicky about its input (i.e., some valid postscript that Ghostscript
can render just fine does not print).

I also tried printing to a ps from PDF Viewer and that gave me a 1.7MB
ps.  But I'm not sure how to print ps 2 per page and duplex?  So I
converted ps2pdf on this one(I know seems circular) and this pdf was
about the same size(1.7MB), sent it to the printer and 10 minutes
later still waiting for pages 5-8 to print(just started).
You can turn on duplex using psset: 'psset -d' for standard duplex, and
'psset -t' for duplex with tumbling. If you are using Foomatic you can
select this at runtime using a special argument, or you can configure
the default using foomatic's setup tools.

Any ideas? Note: I tested some of these in windows and they fly right
out(Same machine, dual boot) But I don't plan to reboot to print 1 pdf
a day.

Ubuntu 6.06 using Cups with a Brother 5150D
http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-5150D says
that this printer supports numerous drivers, including PS level 3 and
HPIJS. Which one are you using and have you tried any alternate drivers?
Their speed may vary.

Did you use the drivers supplied with cups or did you use Foomatic? (In
my limited experience with Cups, configuring with foomatic-gui yields
better results.)

Well, neither. I have foomatic installed and I assume that the Ubuntu GUI takes advantage of this as its an "official" component. The driver is actually from brother, its the OS 9 ppd file. When I got the printer 2 years ago this was the only driver.
It turns out I had some sort of ghostscript pre-filter set and removing this seems to help and I remember at some point I tweaked with the spooling between straight to printer or pre on the computer, but I don't see this in the GUI and I must have done it via CLI can anyone remind me what I might have done to check and adjust these settings. Likely a cupsys command?

Alex