Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

p@dirac.org wrote:
I'm now on a home network where IP addresses are handed out dynamically by
the router/bridge/DSL modem combo.  Suppose I have two Linux computers,
Satan and Lucifer.

Now that I no longer have predictable IP addresses on the home network, how
do I accomplish something like:

   satan$ ssh p@lucifer

when there's no longer a valid /etc/hosts file?

Thanks!
Peter
Turn off DHCP serving on the router. Then pick one of your linux boxes to be your new DHCP plus DNS server for the LAN. Then install and configure dnsmasq (http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html) on that box, and it will solve your problem. Dnsmasq is a perfect little util for exactly this situation: a small DHCP server which has a built-in DNS server - unlike most small LAN routers, as you've seen.

I've been using dnsmasq for a few years now, and it works like a charm. It took a little bit of trial and error at first to configure it right, but after that it was "set it and forget it". If you have any probs. configuring it (or want to see a copy of my config), email me back on or off-list.

DR