Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, p@dirac.org wrote:

I'm now on a home network where IP addresses are handed out dynamically by
the router/bridge/DSL modem combo.  Suppose I have two Linux computers,
Satan and Lucifer.

Now that I no longer have predictable IP addresses on the home network, how
do I accomplish something like:

  satan$ ssh p@lucifer

when there's no longer a valid /etc/hosts file?

Thanks!
Peter
Dear Peter,

Assuming you want to keep the IP addresses dynamic, you can find the address assigned to lucifer using ifconfig as root and seeing the address assigned to eth0. If it were 192.168.0.53, you could ssh p@192.168.0.53 from satan. The dynamic address assigned to lucifer should remain the same until a reboot. You can use scp and rsync the same way.

Yours,

Chris