January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

On Thursday 07 December 2006 07:09, p@dirac.org wrote:
> I'm now on a home network where IP addresses are handed out
> dynamically by the router/bridge/DSL modem combo.  Suppose I have two
> Linux computers, Satan and Lucifer.
>
> Now that I no longer have predictable IP addresses on the home
> network, how do I accomplish something like:
>
>    satan$ ssh p@lucifer
>
> when there's no longer a valid /etc/hosts file?

On my home network, I assign my linux desktop a static IP address
outside of the range that the router gives out to visiting computers.

E.g. cat-in-the-hat is 192.168.1.50, and the DHCP range is from
192.168.1.100-150. I do this in order to have the router's port
forwarding features make ssh accessible to the outside world.

Another option is to use a dynamic DNS service (like dyndns.com) and run
daemons/cronjobs on each computer to update the dynamic DNS, but I'm
not sure whether those allow you to map names to the unroutable IP
addresses.

P.S. If satan and lucifer are on all the time, then they won't lose
their DHCP lease, and their IP addresses won't change anyway.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/