2006 Nov 29 13:25

Re: [vox-tech] OT: gzip support on windows/mac

Re: [vox-tech] OT: gzip support on windows/mac

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Wed 29 Nov 06, 11:22 AM, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> said:

I have a question for those of you who use non-unix operating systems
regularly. How good is support for gzip-format archives? If I were to
e-mail a gzip-compressed file to a typical windows user, would they
likely be able decompress it using typically installed software? What
about bzip2?

I have the same question about macs as well, though I can guess the
answer because I know that the current mac OS is a unix variant.
Henry, winzip can decompress .gz, .Z, .tar, and .bz2.

The only provisio is that it can't *create* these files.

I think pretty much everyone has winzip. You can download it for free, and
I don't think the demo expires. It just nags.

Pete

7-zip has the same caveats(minus the nagging). gzip is well supported but I'd stay away from bzip I've had difficulty with that on windows systems although it's not hard to download another program.
If you're talking out of the box though zip is it for xp as far as I know.
So maybe you want to put a link at the bottom of emails you send to windows users with:
If you can't open this file download a free open source solution www.7-zip.org

Alex