2006 Nov 29 11:20

Re: [vox-tech] 2 Firefox issues

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:39:02PM -0800, Norm Matloff wrote:
> Is there anyone out there who know why Firefox isn't working on my
> new machine.  It's Firefox 1.5.0.8, and I'm using Fedora Core 5.
>
> Problem 1:  When I go to a Wikipedia site that has math in it, such
> as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_distribution I just get raw LaTeX
> code.  On that page, for instance, I see

Sounds like Wikipedia thinks your Firefox can handle embedded TeX,
and is therefore not delivering a PNG image to you.  See if you can change
your user preferences.

For reference:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula

  MediaWiki uses a subset of TeX markup, including some extensions
  from LaTeX and AMSLaTeX, for mathematical formulae. It generates
  either PNG images or simple HTML markup, depending on user preferences
  and the complexity of the expression. In the future, as more browsers
  are smarter, it will be able to generate enhanced HTML or even MathML
  in many cases. (See blahtex for information about current work on
  adding MathML support.)

Hope that helps!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/