2006 Nov 29 01:13

[vox-tech] 2 Firefox issues

Is there anyone out there who know why Firefox isn't working on my
new machine.  It's Firefox 1.5.0.8, and I'm using Fedora Core 5.

Problem 1:  When I go to a Wikipedia site that has math in it, such
as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_distribution I just get raw LaTeX
code.  On that page, for instance, I see

  Cauchy-Lorentz distribution, named after Augustin Cauchy and Hendrik
  Lorentz, is a continuous probability distribution with probability
  density function

     f(x; x_0,\gamma) = \frac{1}{\pi\gamma \left[1 +
    \left(\frac{x-x_0}{\gamma}\right)^2\right]} \!
        = { 1 \over \pi } \left[ { \gamma \over (x - x_0)^2 + \gamma^2 }
        \right] \!

whereas I should see

  Cauchy-Lorentz distribution, named after Augustin Cauchy and Hendrik
  Lorentz, is a continuous probability distribution with probability
  density function

     [PNG picture of equation here, from
     http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/9/3/99356e5bb7fb2597cb8c0c1f6436d764.png

If I access that same page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_distribution
from Konqueror on the same machine, the PNG pictures do show up.  Or if
I view that page via Firefox from my office machine (also running Core
5), I see the pictures too.

Problem 2:  When I try to access any site with a https: URL, Firefox
fails, saying I may need the Personal Security Manager.  If I go to the
same site with Konqueror, or with Firefox on my office machine, I have
no problem.

Any ideas?

Norm