2006 Oct 29 09:55

Re: [vox-tech] connecting to DSL modem

On Sun 15 Oct 06, 11:56 PM, Foo Lim <foolim@gmail.com> said:
> On 10/15/06, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
>>
>> Supposedly, I should be able to connect to the webserver on my Westell 6100
>> DSL modem via:
>>
>>      http://192.168.1.1
>>
>> But the page never loads.
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> Does the modem have a router?  Do you have a router with the same IP
> address?
>
> Foo

Unfortunately, there's no MAC address on the DSL modem.  The only arp
address I have stored is my ISP's default gateway.

However, I have another datapoint.

I totally forgot that there's a Windows partition on this computer.  Came
with WinXP.  I booted it once, and subsequently forgot that it existed.

So I booted into WinXP.  Didn't have network access since WinXP was
configured for DHCP.  However, I ran Firefox, typed "192.168.1.1" into the
address bar, and *poof*, I saw the DSL modem's admin interface.

So I can access the DSL modem's admin interface from Windows but not from
Linux.  This is useful since it tells me that 192.168.1.1 is the correct IP
address, and that the modem does indeed respond to http requests.

There must be some kind of network configuration problem on Linux.

This computer *used* to be 192.168.1.1, but I thought I removed any
reference to that IP address.  Currently the DSL modem is in "pass through"
mode, so my system's IP address is configured to be the same IP address my
ISP gave me.  I'd like to change that because I have other systems I'd like
to get net access on.  I'd like for my modem to NAT instead of pass through.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong with accessing 192.168.1.1?  When I
ping that address, I get a 100% packet loss.

Thanks,
Pete