2006 Oct 26 15:29

Re: [vox-tech] adding line numbers to an HTML file

On Thursday 26 October 2006 14:25, Micah Cowan wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 14:23 -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > wondering if there is a simple way to add line numbers to every non-html
> > tag in a webpage:
> >
> > here is a dirty hack that does not work very well:
> >
> > lynx -source http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/319/print
> > | cat -n > test.html
> >
> > or - if there is a way to add line numbers to non-tag data, similar to
> > how the paste (http://rafb.net/paste/) service works.
> >
> > any ideas would be very helpful!
>
> The link you show doesn't seem to distinguish "tag data", and it's
> really not clear to me exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps
> if you could post a short "before-and-after" example?
>
> Depending on what you want, Perl or Python--or possibly even just
> awk--should be able to meet your needs, but I can't really give you a
> solution until I understand the problem properly :)

some clarification is indeed warranted:

the page in question
(http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/319/print) produces
printer-friendly output (simple html). I would like to add line numbers to
this document so that the students in my class can easily refer to specific
lines of code. In my hack posted above, i add a line number to *every* line -
even html tags like <head>, <body> , etc. I would like to add line numbers to
the text in-between html elements. i.e

1 something
2 about
3 some other thing