2006 Oct 26 14:45

Re: [vox-tech] adding line numbers to an HTML file

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 14:23 -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> wondering if there is a simple way to add line numbers to every non-html tag
> in a webpage:
>
> here is a dirty hack that does not work very well:
>
> lynx -source http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/319/print |
> cat -n > test.html
>
> or - if there is a way to add line numbers to non-tag data, similar to how the
> paste (http://rafb.net/paste/) service works.
>
> any ideas would be very helpful!

The link you show doesn't seem to distinguish "tag data", and it's
really not clear to me exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps
if you could post a short "before-and-after" example?

Depending on what you want, Perl or Python--or possibly even just
awk--should be able to meet your needs, but I can't really give you a
solution until I understand the problem properly :)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/