2006 Sep 28 13:42

Re: [vox-tech] Automated backups of files on remote FTP server

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:28:09PM -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> On Thursday 28 September 2006 12:13, Troy Arnold wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:05:50PM -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > > I've been tasked with finding a way to backup our files on our remote
> > > host to a local server on a regular basis.  Trouble is I can only get to
> > > the remote host via FTP.  Both systems run Linux.
> > >
> > > What's the best way to go about doing this?
> >
> > Get the admin to install ssh...
>
> A man can only dream.

Do they at least provide SFTP?  Actually, I would guess not, if the
point of your account is web content.  Ignoring the fact that you
might have some password-protected directories on the site, or maybe
some HTTPS pages, the lack of encryption of your files over the wire
doesn't matter.

Now, your password, on the other hand...  I guess all one has to do is
be in the right place to sniff packets, and voila! your entire site
is 'hacked'/'owned'/'pwned'/'defaced'/whatever. :^(