2006 Sep 25 19:08

Re: [vox-tech] handling urls in Thunderbird on Kubuntu

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 06:48:03PM -0700, Dave Margolis wrote:
> Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> >
> >  - What is the output of "namei x-www-browser"?
>
> $ namei x-www-browser
> f: x-www-browser
>   ? x-www-browser - No such file or directory (2)
>

> > If x-www-browser appears to point at conquerer, you'll want to do a:
> >   sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
>
> Did that.  Choose /usr/bin/firefox
>
> That didn't change the output of "namei x-www-browser" but it did fix
> the problem.  Now I'm reading some man pages to figure out what the hell
> I just did.

My fault, that should've been "namei /usr/bin/x-www-browser".

The Debian alternatives system: keeps some symlinks for generic binaries
around, and provides a system to point them at your favorite apps. So,
for example, Ubuntu systems ship with /usr/bin/editor pointing at
/usr/bin/nano. I'm not much for nano, and prefer vim, so I immediately
run "sudo update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /usr/bin/vim".

FWIW, you can also point cc at things other than gcc. :-)

Have a look at /etc/alternatives to see what symlinks exist there.
/usr/bin/x-www-browser actually points at
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser, which in turn now points at
/usr/bin/firefox.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/