2006 Sep 25 13:52

Re: [vox-tech] dual-boot machine / vmware / SATA drives...

Re: [vox-tech] dual-boot machine / vmware / SATA drives...

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
Hi everyone,

recently purchased a new machine for the lab, and have plan on using it for the following :

two SATA drives, one with WinXP the other with Debian Linux.
Right now it boots into Linux by default, and will provide remote-login services among other things to our lab members. The Windows XP install was going to be accessed via VMware, with linux as the host operating system of course, for people who actually sit down at the machine. I was planning on accessing the first SATA disk in raw mode as opposed to creating a virtual disk for windows to live in. however, according to the vmware docs, raw access mode will not work with SCSI disks. with kernel 2.6 SATA devices appears as SCSI devices- so it seems that this approach will not work.

one possible work-around would be to dump windows on the first disk, format with ext3, and create a large VMware virtual disk in its place. This option should work fine.

one small problem (?) -- my bootloader (grub) is stored in the MBR of the first SATA disk, will re-partitioning this disk destroy the MBR ? and if so, how can i safely restore it ?
any comments / thoughts -- I am pretty sure that the above is reasonable, but I would sure appreciate any other options!

thanks!

You should be able to repartition without effecting the bootloader. If you want you can back it up first with the dd command copy the first 512 from sda1 to a file on sda2. If it fries which I don't think will happen then a live disk or a grub floppy(cd or usb) to let you back to a command line you can pop the MBR back onto sda1.

Alex