2006 Sep 22 12:38

Re: [vox-tech] jpilot restore and rechargable batteries

Re: [vox-tech] jpilot restore and rechargable batteries

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
i always back up my visor prism each week, and i've always wondered whether
"restoring" the pda would "work".

well, after 6 years i had to change the battery for the first time since the
old one wasn't keeping a charge.  found that i had to restore the pda from
disk.

it "worked".   :)

btw, are there any strategies for keeping rechargable batteries in good
health?  i seem to recall something about letting them drain all the way
before recharging them (no partial charging), however, i can't remember if
that was for a particular type of rechargable or even if i'm remembering
that correctly.

pete

Glad to hear the restore worked out.

About the batteries, depends on chemistry.
See http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo.htm

If it's Li-ion then frequent charging with a once a month full drain and recharge for calibration is the best plan. This is actually what the Prius does and is confirmed by that link above. I would hope a $30,000 car has the right charging strategy.

Keep in mind that both NiMH and Li-ion have 300-500+ recharge cycles and a limited life of 3-5 years regardless of use.

Alex