2006 Sep 21 06:19

[vox-tech] why does HAL hate me

I just reinstalled hal to see if I could get it to work for me this time
(last time I found that purging hal made everything work right again).
Now, when I try to read a cd I get this message.

"A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected
message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount"
error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")"

I think it says that I haven't been anointed by some elite being to
receive messages from my cd drive. I sure that someone out there could
explain why it is good policy not let me receive messages from my cd
drive but I would like to get it working.

I think I have three choices:

1. apt-get --purge remove HAL (it worked the first time)

2. find all the HAL config files and change all "deny" to "allow". This
probably misses the point but try understanding the HAL config file(s).
If you have HAL installed take a look at /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf - pure gibberish

3 Ask somebody who knows what they're doing.

Somebody - Anybody - HELP

paul