2006 Sep 14 06:25

Re: [vox-tech] Apache reinstallation failing

Re: [vox-tech] Apache reinstallation failing

Backup your config files from /etc/apache &/or /etc/apache2 and try to completely remove the packages. Then do an install not reinstall and copy back you config.
If you're doing this on Kubuntu, then using the graphical Synaptic may help you figure out what's really going on. Also if you turn on the properties in Synaptic it will list all files for a given installed package. That and reinstall is an option. Also you'll get the Complete removal, not just the removal if you want.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure how to do this via apt although there must be a way.

Why Apache and not Apache2?

Alex

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
I'm having nothing but grief trying to get Apache reinstalled on a Kubuntu server I've been building. I installed Apache, then mistakenly installed Apache2 on top of that, then tried to uninstall both, not knowing that --reinstall was not an option with apt-get install. Plenty of files were deleted manually, problems arose, hilarity failed to ensue. Now when I try:

$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install apache2

apt tells me that Apache2 is being installed, but there are no /var/log files for Apache, and when I try to launch apache2 with /etc/init.d/apache2 start, there's no output, and Apache simply doesn't start. When I tried recently to simply install Apache (not 2), I got the following:

deguser@the-matrix:/var/log
$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install apache
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
apache-doc
apache
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 385kB of archives.
After unpacking 827kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/universe apache 1.3.34-2ubuntu0.1 [385kB]
Fetched 385kB in 3s (125kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package apache.
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache2-mpm-prefork' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache2-utils' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache2-common' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache-common' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
71621 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking apache (from .../apache_1.3.34-2ubuntu0.1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up apache (1.3.34-2ubuntu0.1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.postinst: line 12: /usr/share/apache/postinst.common: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing apache (--configure):
apache

Can anyone lead me on the road to recovery here?