2006 Sep 11 21:55

Re: [vox-tech] Scanner software recomendation

Yea Thanks
Same Idea I had. I used XSane to scan and save file1.ps, file2.ps, file3.ps, file4.ps and then used ps2pdfwr as distro installed it to create pdfs and then installed pdftk to cat them to a single file.pdf. Next time I'll write a script to pickup every file*.ps from a set directory and create the single pdf. I'm not used to writing scripts and was wondering if the "mouse trap" existed before I created a inferior mouse trap.
<;-}

Donald G. McGahan
UC Davis Soils and Biogeochemistry
dig.soilman@yahoo.com
dig.soilman@gmail.com
Yahoo! Messenger: dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
MSN Messenger: dgmcgahan@hotmail.com

----- Original Message ----
From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
To: lugod's technical discussion forum <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 9:20:28 AM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Scanner software recomendation

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 08:07:30AM -0700, Donald G. McGahan wrote:
> Looking for opinions on software/driver for scanner (Canon LiDE50). I'm running Xubuntu (Xfce desktop) and would like to keep with the desktops responsivness by avoiding, if possable, loading up a bunch of KDE and Gnome libraries.  Installing XSANE, but was interested if there are software options or tricks to create PDF files directly from a scan simular to what Adobe Acrobat Professional does for me on the XP machine?
>
> Thoughts and opinions?

Well, I'd personally do it _with_ KDE, but that's since I'm running it
to begin with.  There's a nice SANE frontend in KDE, and KDE has built-in
"Print to PDF" options.  (You've gotta download and install some Open Source
software to be able to do that on Windows. :^) )

You could probably use a mix of XYZtops and pstopdf in a script to convert
something you get from a SANE frontend into a PDF file.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/