January 6: Social gathering
2006 Sep 12 08:28

Re: [vox-tech] audio - soundcard to stereo

Re: [vox-tech] audio - soundcard to stereo

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Thu 07 Sep 06,  8:59 PM, Mark K. Kim <lugod2@cbreak.org> said:

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 11:39:30PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

i recently hooked up the speaker output on my soundcard to my livingroom
stereo amplifier.  the result, as they say in french, sucks big time.
[snip details]

Can you draw an ASCII diagram of how they are connected, the cable
type(s) used to connect them, and how long each cable is approximately?

Also, where does the computer's sound output go into the stereo?  And
the stereo has a separate volume control, correct?

-Mark
Yeah. It's pretty simple---looks something like this:

3.5 mm plug RCA stereo plug

*** ----***
***--------------------| ***
*** ----***

computer stereo

The cable itself is approximately 5 feet long. One side is a 3.5mm plug
(which goes to the soundcard output - the same output I use for the computer
speakers). The other side is split into two phone RCA plugs (one red, one
white for left and right stereo output).

The stereo has a separate volume control. To get rid of the distortion, I
have to turn the computer mixer down all almost the way and use the stereo
volume control to play with the volume.

I suppose it could be a crappy soundcard. I'm actually using an onboard
chipset of a cheap motherboard. If what I'm doing is supposed to work, I
don't mind throwing a nice soundcard in. But before I disconnect all these
wires, I wanna make sure it's supposed to work first. It's a mess of wires
back there. :)

Thanks!
Pete

It could be a crappy soundcard... but then again RCA jacks are typically for
low impedance inputs that suck the oomph out of the high impedance soundcard
outputs.[1]  Try the stereo's mic input, or get a DI box [2][3] or buy a
low impedance computer sound interface [4].

[1] http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/us_pro_ea_connectingmics
[2] http://www.whirlwindusa.com/tech02.html
[3] http://www.zzounds.com/cat--General-Direct-Boxes--2753
[4] http://www.wlug.org.nz/TascamAudioInterface