2006 Sep 07 19:25

Re: [vox-tech] grub booting

;( ;( ;( .....yup. Couldn't wait for the good advice and I have butchered this thing.

I was getting a nice boot up screen with mepis but not for debian. Not really finding anything on the web I found some boot pages that almost mirrored each other. So I started adding lines to the txt file. I figured that I also had to do something with the mepis file so I renamed it for convience sake's.

When I booted up my machine, the word Grub came up but not the debian pick and choose screen. So...I took my #1 debian disc and installed just the basic system on whatI thought was a free space hard drive and flagged it boot. Now screen came up with not only debian kernels llike it was before but it also gave me Mepis option as well. Unfortunatly the so called free space must have been used as a swap partition or whathaveyou so when I picked debian 2.6 kernel it halted and said I need to do maintaince.

IT'S FORMAT TIME!!! :)
Lesson learned about free partitions...don't cast them as anything! Instead leave them as free space. When I installed debian I called it logical or something like that. I have a fat 80G HD that I will partion the hell out of.

Jimbo.
Gotta run and get some pizza.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Kendrick" <nbs@sonic.net>
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] grub booting

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:47:19AM -0700, Jim wrote:
I have installed mephis on an empty partition. All went well but it didn't
give me an option to boot up into my debian os.
So Mepis replaced your GRUB bootloader, and now it's only showing Mepis
as an option?

Or are you even given a bootloader screen when you boot up?
If not, try holding SHIFT during the boot process. (I forget if this is how
GRUB works, but in LILO, if you had it NOT show a menu -- and therefore
auto-boot some specific OS every time you booted -- you could hold SHIFT to
force the menu to appear.)

Good luck!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/