2006 Sep 09 12:23

[vox-tech] Software Freedom Day Demo

Greetings:
My name is Jim and I am trying very hard to set up a decent demo for Software Freedom Day (SFD). My knowledge about the Linux software is very limited so I'm writing this plea for help.

I am encountering several obstacles setting up my PC to do the things I want them to do. Here are some examples:

Sound: I can hear it and adjust it no problems but whenever I add extra demand on my CPU, be it opening windows or surfing the web, the sound stutters (playing CD's).
Wifi: I can connect to a Wifi signal manually but would like it to auto connect upon hard boot. That is when I turn on the machine and go to kde I want to be able to surf the web just by going to my browser and typing in some URL's.
3D: I have put in a good Nvidia card in the hopes that it would auto detect 3d parameters. Of course it didn't. Sure would be nice to run Tux Racer for the kids at SFD.
Distros: I am currently configuring Debian but maybe I can show off other distros as well. In my opinion Debian is not for the noobie Linux users.
Usb: what usb? AACK!! My smart media card reader is not responding. Funny. Will work in Knoppix.
Does anybody have an iso of live Mephis or other live cd's?
Firefox 1.5:
Eye Candy: can't get kbfx operating. I want something like this.
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs102&d=06253&f=snapshot2.png or this
http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=resizeddesktop15jz.jpg see how things are transparent ?
Trick==>
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs103&d=06272&f=new_ss2.jpg .

If someone can help please email me. My eyes are in pain from googling till 2:00 in the morning for the past 3 days. Having been helped over the phone or email has been tortuous for me. Instead come to my house and help me personally. I will do just about anything. I have tons of beer! I can bbq some burgers! You can even pet my little dog if you are a nice person. Need advice or diag on your vehicle? I also have a lot of PC parts which I think have value but don't use them anymore.

If you need a ride just holler but don't go stupid on me and tell me that you need to be picked up in Onterio.

Please help me make SFD a success.

Jim Georginux (aka Jimbo).