2006 Sep 04 22:31

Re: [vox-tech] PHP / CURL

On Sep 4, 2006, at 6:48 PM, serendipitu serendipitu wrote:

Thanks Dave...

I have a RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 machine on which I installed:
curl 7.15.5 : with SSL
php 4.4.4 : with curl and command line interface

Unfortunately, the problem is a very basic one! I can't even read a regular html webpage frpm an http server, let alone the https stuff. For example:

$LOGINURL = "www.yahoo.com"; //or any other http webpage
$agent = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)";
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL,$LOGINURL);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, $agent);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
$result = curl_exec ($ch);
curl_close ($ch);
print $result;

I save the above lines in a test.php file and then I type this on linux command line:
> php -f test.php
or
> php test.php

both just print the content of the .php file (the above lines!) instead of the html webpage!!!!!! and I don't know what's wrong in here; that should be a small bug or a user mistake or something like that....

Would you give me a sample php/curl code and the necessary steps for running it on a linux command line? a simple one, something that does the same thing as "wget www.yahoo.com " for example.

Thanks!
What you've got is perfect - except that every php script (web or CLI) needs to be wrapped in <? ... ?> tags.

So put <? at the beginning of your file and ?> at the end and you will be good to go. The script you have dumps the HTML content to standard output (you'd see a close approximation of the yahoo site if you ran this in a web browsers). If you want this to behave exactly like wget, you'd have to add a few more lines (fopen(), fwrite ($result), fclose(), etc. to dump the contents to a file).

To get the data you really want, you'll probably have to study the HTML a bit and come up with a regular expression to grab exactly what you want. Once you have that, you can do whatever you want - e-mail it to yourself, include the scraped data on another webpage, or whatever else you can come up with (send yourself a text message, perhaps?).

Good luck,
Dave