2006 Sep 04 17:47

Re: [vox-tech] Boot problem

OK, Jim, I found a driver by goggling over to a wikipage on ndiswrapper. It might just work wirh 2.6.8. it's worth a try...

To autoload the ndiswrapper at boot time try

"# ndiswrapper -m" which will write an entry to /etc/modprobe.conf

Thanks again
JW

John Wojnaroski wrote:

I have 2.6.8 running but need to install the ieee80211xxx module and ipw2200xxx driver for the Intel wifi hardware in the laptop. To do that you need the source code that created the running kernel to compile with the correct headers and such as well the object files to load and link correctly. The 2.6.8 kernel boots just fine and I have the kernel source for 2.6.8-2-386.

Have not been able to find a compiled version of the Intel driver. The debian apt/install system is great. Unfortunately, it is impossible to provide packages for *everything*.

would ndiswrapper work with the Intel 2200 chipset? I did not see it in the list of supported cards and since Intel provides the source for a native Linux driver (ipw2200-xxxx) that is probably the preferred way to go. And since the chip is built into the laptop, changing cards is not an option.

Once I get by this boot problem, I suspect there will be a whole new set getting the wifi to work ;-)

Thanks
John W.

Jim George wrote:

After hours of googling I came across a site that helped me to update my kernel. Here is the part that really helped me out:

...as quoted from http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29 ....
"Why not install with 2.4 and then use apt-get command to download/install 2.6 kernel? That is what I did. Piece of cake.
# apt-cache search kernel-image

It will then list what available and choose the latest kernel for your hardware (AMD K6, K7 or Intel i386, i686)

Use this as an example: kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686

# apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686

Then reboot

# init 6

Login and make sure you have the latest version

# uname -r

You're done."

For a newb like me it was painless. You will have to dig and find processor info though before you search.

I too am tinkering with a wifi card using 2.6 kernel, ndiswrapper, and other things. I got it to work but am having a hard time making it auto on hard boot ( btw, I have imput
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp wireless-essid linksys
in my /interfaces file but still no go).

Cheers,
Jimbo