2006 Sep 05 16:53

Re: [vox-tech] 10 year old monitor finally died

Re: [vox-tech] 10 year old monitor finally died

Jimbo wrote:
I knew it was going but thought I had a little bit more time. Bought new monitor (Samsung syncmaster 203b) and am worried about starting debian on old monitor settings. Will things auto detect? How bout the nvidia video card I just installed?

If no auto detect can I edit some files w/o booting into kde first? I do know what the horizontal and vertical refresh rates are so I'm not going into this blind.

Since I've been using Linux (~2002), I've not seen a monitor go up in smoke due to incorrect settings. Maybe some old-school linuxers can give some horror stories, but I don't think you have much risk in just trying out your new monitor with your old settings. Then you can make adjustments by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I would usually just wipe out my hard drive
<snip>

Yikes! Talk about using a hammer when a jeweler's screwdriver is all that's needed!

Regards,
Jonathan