2006 Sep 04 22:31

[vox-tech] wireless

I have added a wireless card and have got it to work...right now.

This web page
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/DebianNoCompiles  has
really helped me out however it was difficult for me to get as far as I have.
I kept fighting reboot errors in which eth0 was still activated and no signs
of wlan0.

Close to the bottom of the said web page it states

"Tame this none-standard beast
If you want to make bringing up your wireless easy (this guide doesn't
configure the ndiswrapper in a way that can be auto-loaded via normal means)
dump the following in a text file and name it "loadwireless.sh". (really you
can name it anything you want, just keep the .sh at the end) Make sure to put
your ssid in place of "yourssidgoeshere"

#!/bin/sh
ifdown eth0
insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
sleep 3
iwconfig wlan0 essid yourssidgoeshere

chmod it executable and run it as root to bring your wireless up"

Uhuh.  How do you chmod it executable?  I thought chmod was only for
permissions?

I would oh so like this thing to auto load w/o conflicts w/ etho (my lan).  I
am soooo tired of googling that my eyes hurt.

Is this easy or is there an easier way.

Cheers, and by the way, I am sending this wireless!!!  Hello linux!

Jimbo