2006 Sep 01 21:41

Re: [vox-tech] Battery Problem?

On Fri 01 Sep 06,  7:39 AM, Bob Scofield <scofield@omsoft.com> said:
> My wife says she's having a problem starting her computer.  She says that when
> she pushes the start button she hears the sound of the computer starting, but
> then the computer does not turn on when she releases the button.  She has to
> try pushing the button a few more times before she can get the computer to
> come on.
>
> Is this the battery going out, or is it a problem with the power supply?
>
> Here's one more question.  In the old days I remember making some kind of a
> Norton Antivirus backup floppy for the CMOS data so that if you replaced a
> battery your could replace your CMOS data.  But I don't do that anymore.  So
> if you replace the battery, what do you do about the CMOS?
>
> The computer we're talking about was built in 1997.  The battery has never
> been replaced.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Bob, I don't think this is a battery problem.  That wouldn't cause the
computer to not turn on, I don't think.

Sounds like a mechanical problem -- maybe the swtich is dying.  The first
thing to go in any electro-mechanical device, like a computer, is most often
the mechanical part.

I'd open the case, use compressed air to clean out the switch mechanism,
look for anything obviously wrong and try again.  Or, barring any other
advice you get off the list, replace the switch or case.

But at 9 years, I think the computer has served its time and may be ready to
retire to a digital Florida...

Pete

--
The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a
digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p@dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p