2006 Aug 31 23:56

Re: [vox-tech] spam current events

Bob Scofield wrote:
On Thursday 31 August 2006 13:51, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

the gif image itself is mostly white with a few colored "threads" here and
there.  i certainly don't see any text, so i'm not quite sure what their
purpose is.  perhaps it's some kind of virus?

anyone else seeing these things?  i'm getting them a few times a day now.

I'm getting these every day. I'm getting them on my e-mail account I use on Linux, and not on my e-mail business account which I use with Windows 98. So as a result I'm not getting a report from Norton on whether the .gif is a virus.

I was thinking of forwarding one of these to my business e-mail address to see if Norton would detect a virus on it. But then it occurred to me that it might be illegal to "knowingly" transmit a virus over the net. So maybe the next time I get one of these, I'll save it to a floppy, reboot, and let Norton examine the floppy.
Bob
You can scan it in linux with ClamAV I think.
Sorry I don't have the specifics on how to though.

Alex