2006 Aug 31 17:22

Re: [vox-tech] spam current events

On Thursday 31 August 2006 13:51, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> the gif image itself is mostly white with a few colored "threads" here and
> there.  i certainly don't see any text, so i'm not quite sure what their
> purpose is.  perhaps it's some kind of virus?
>
> anyone else seeing these things?  i'm getting them a few times a day now.

I'm getting these every day.  I'm getting them on my e-mail account I use on
Linux, and not on my e-mail business account which I use with Windows 98.  So
as a result I'm not getting a report from Norton on whether the .gif is a
virus.

I was thinking of forwarding one of these to my business e-mail address to see
if Norton would detect a virus on it.  But then it occurred to me that it
might be illegal to "knowingly" transmit a virus over the net.  So maybe the
next time I get one of these, I'll save it to a floppy, reboot, and let
Norton examine the floppy.

Bob