2006 Aug 31 15:48

Re: [vox-tech] spam current events

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
i'm getting hammered with email containing text designed to trick bayesian
filters.  unfortunately, it appears to be quite successful in that endeavor.
the email text is nonsensical, however the email has a gif image attachment.

at first, the gif was always named "image001.gif", and i was able to REJECT
such emails when Postfix detected a gif attachment named "image001.gif".
but whoever is sending this got smarter and now the gif file is named all
kinds of things.

i'm not quite sure how to filter these things anymore other than to REJECT
all gif attachments, which I'd prefer not to do if i can help it..

the gif image itself is mostly white with a few colored "threads" here and
there.  i certainly don't see any text, so i'm not quite sure what their
purpose is.  perhaps it's some kind of virus?

anyone else seeing these things?  i'm getting them a few times a day now.

pete
I'm getting loads of these too, and it's similarly brought down the effectiveness of Thunderbird's bayesian filter.

If anyone's got a solution, I'm all ears.

Maybe someone should ask Paul Graham for a solution. :-)

On a more serious note, though, I used to use the Popfile (popfile.sf.net) bayesian filter a while back and it was (at least back then) very up-to-date in terms of updating the filter to deal with new kinds of spam that were coming out. Might want to check the project mailing lists and/or source code and see if they've found any solution for this issue.

HTH,

DR