2006 Aug 12 00:18

[vox-tech] Failing Hard Drive Recovery

I've got a 40GB Laptop hard drive that boots about 5% of the time.
Figured out that it's not the motherboard since sliding a new drive in seems to work fine. So I'm trying to copy off the info from the old disk to a new one.

I was going to run dd or dd_rescue or ddrescue, but I can't even get that far. (Running all in sudo su on Knoppix 5)
fdisk -l
"Unable to read /dev/hda"
gpart
Fatal Error: cannot get sector size on dev(/dev/hda)
testdisk
Can't find any partitions on the drive, and when it's looking it's showing all sorts of read errors.

The disk Physically isn't making any clicking or excessive heat. I tried putting it in a USB case but that didn't seem to help.
Both the BIOS and the knoppix tools see it as a 40GB HD with 37. GB usable. And no, mounting is useless because of the previous issues.

Should I just run dd_rescue and see what I get? I guess the problem there is I'm moving from a 40 to 100 GB drive and wanted to make a bootable partition to shove the old data into, but that procedure doesn't quite work when I can't see partitions.

Any more ideas?
Alex