2006 Jul 23 06:16

[vox-tech] quickie postfix config issue

Hey all,

Dumb question, but here goes.

My server runs Fedora Core 5 from RedHat. It also uses
Postfix as its MTA.

The system is able to receive mail normally. It also
sends it with no problems. HOWEVER, mail sent from the
system appears to come from
"root@localhost.localdomain" instead of from my domain
name. How can I fix this?

I checked the settings in postfix's configuration file
in /etc/postfix/main.cf and all appears as it should
be.

Here's the sticky part. I was switching back and forth
between using a router in front of the system for
security reasons, and having the system provide its
own security. (Long story). While it was using the
router, I had to switch its networking settings to
dynamically assigned IP instead of the usual static,
with the router holding the domain name and forwarding
incoming requests to the correct port (HTTP 80, SMTP
25, etc). To facilitate this, I modified /etc/hosts so
that it reads as follows:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

However, when I took the router out and plugged the
system directly back into the network, I modified
/etc/hosts to read:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
207.xxx.xxx.xxx <mydomain>.com <mydomain>

I've deleted the IP and domain info for obvious
reasons.

What is really odd is that the mail worked fine and
messages appeared to come from root@<mydomain>.com,
before I tried to install the router. Now I seem to
have caused a problem I can't fix.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance...