January 6: Social gathering
2006 Jul 19 11:06

Re: [vox-tech] digitising tape

Richard Harke wrote:
I have some tapes I want to digitise. I did this once before and
it was easy but I have forgotten just what I did and now I can't
seem to get it to work. I have a cassette player connected
to the line in on my sound card and when I play the tape I get
the appropriate sound from my PC's speakers. I have alsamixer
open and did have to bring up the line in volume. I have tried
Krec and arecord. The Vu meter in Krec does not show anything.
Both programs produce files with all zero samples. I don't think
it is a permissions problem, doesn't work for root either. (my user
is a member of audio group)

Any guesses to what my frazzled brain has forgotten?

Richard harke
I like to use audacity for this. I'm not sure about on linux but when I use it on windows it lets me toggle between the different possible inputs and has a little monitor in the top of the screen to show incoming sound. Keep changing the input until you find the one that has the sound. Then start the tape over and hit the record.

Alex