2006 Jul 24 20:33

[vox-tech] digitising tape

I have some tapes I want to digitise. I did this once before and
it was easy but I have forgotten just what I did and now I can't
seem to get it to work. I have a cassette player connected
to the line in on my sound card and when I play the tape I get
the appropriate sound from my PC's speakers. I have alsamixer
open and did have to bring up the line in volume. I have tried
Krec and arecord. The Vu meter in Krec does not show anything.
Both programs produce files with all zero samples. I don't think
it is a permissions problem, doesn't work for root either. (my user
is a member of audio group)

Any guesses to what my frazzled brain has forgotten?

Richard harke