2006 Jul 18 20:30

Re: [vox-tech] Unable to login as root

Chris Horsting wrote:
Hi,
I was having problem accessing website from fedora 4.0 box, so I thought it might be a user permission problem. When I tried to login as root, Fedora did not let me login. Also, regarding the Internet connection, I am able to get site like google, but apache.org.
Your question is a bit unclear... "but apache.org" isn't a complete thought.
If you cannot get to some websites, your network routing tables or
DNS configuration may be broken.  If that is the case then the "ping"
command will have problems with those host names as well... but if "ping"
works, then it is more likely a browser configuration problem.

Browsing: User permissions on an internet client machine don't normally
affect your ability to browse the web... though if you are setting up
a website on a hosting service then user permissions may be a problem
on that server.

Superuser access: I don't use Fedora, but you can usually only log in
as root from selected devices and you don't say whether this is remote
or local, or in X or via console. Try logging in as a normal user and
use "su" or "sudo" to accomplish your administrative tasks. Some
distributions (like Ubuntu) have given up on root logins and only
allow administration to be performed with sudo.

Serving: If you are trying to perform administrative tasks on a computer
that is serving web pages to the internet at large, and are having
difficulty getting root access when you know the password, it is
possible that your box has already been "owned" and it is time to backup
and wipe the hd.