2006 Jun 27 00:16

Re: [vox-tech] rar unrar and non-free package

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:55:21PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 05:05:19PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > It's worth pointing out, though, that the "rar" utility is also
> > non-free-as-in-beer: it's shareware.
>
> Oh, interesting.
>
> Aside from the apt description's comment on the shareware/registration issue,
> does 'rar' or the rar package do anything to enforce the registration
> requirement, or at least remind users after 40 days?

I have no idea.

...I suspect that trying to do so would be impractical on Unix,
though: Unix users have far too much control over their environment to
be deterred from using something based on some sort of time-tracking
scheme... :-)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/