2006 Jun 20 19:44

Re: [vox-tech] Need some help choosing a linux flavor for an oldlaptop

Re: [vox-tech] Need some help choosing a linux flavor for an oldlaptop

Ken Bloom wrote:
On Tuesday 20 June 2006 00:34, Kyle Oliveira wrote:
I'm helping a friend upgrade an old Inspiron 3000 so she can check
email and do Word documents while she's in France. I decided to run
linux as the OS since I've heard it's more efficient that windows in
that sort of situation and I've kinda narrowed it down to three
MEPIS (same reason, plus I heard it does networking stuff well), and
Mandriva (simply because Matloff's walkthrough is easily available).
I was wondering which one would be the best to install considering:
*The laptop is running on a Pentium I with 128 MB of RAM. It also has
a *blank* 30 GB hard drive
Any distribution should support this about equally well -- you may want a somewhat stripped down desktop environment for speed.

*There is no RJ-45 port, per se - we have a USB to RJ 45 adaptor and
a PCMCIA 56k modem
Any distribution should have the same support for these.

*The installation needs to be fairly easy, she's already in France
with all the equipment. I'll probably be leading her through the
installation through some sort of written walkthrough (if you know
where to get one, that'd be nice too) and talking on the phone.
You might consider Ubuntu.

--Ken Bloom

I can vouch for Ubuntu with XFCE will run in a usable manner on a PII 333 at least better than Gnome and KDE did. I haven't tried Xubuntu which is ubuntu with XFCE as the default I believe, would make installing really simple.

You could always send a few discs in the same box and have an order of preference for trying them. Like try Xubuntu, if that doesn't work try Mandriva, etc. But this way all the options are there when you get on the phone.

Alex