2006 Jun 19 23:16

Re: [vox-tech] fluxbox questions

On Mon 19 Jun 06, 11:25 PM, Hai Yi <yihai2004@gmail.com> said:

>    Still I don't know how to run fluxbox. I cannot run it under X windows.
>    So, in another word, the question might be a simple one: how can I exit
>    Xwindows to the sole-console enviornment (from where I can try exec
>    fluxbox)?
>
>    Thanks,
>    Hai

I dunno.  Try creating a file ~/.xinitrc with one line:

   exec /usr/bin/fluxbox

(or wherever the executable is located) and see if that works.

Actually, I just did a Google search on "Debian change window manager" and
got this:

   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2001-August/msg00254.html

Two interesting things:

1.  Notice what the replier said about /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager.
   I think that's your best answer.

2. He also implies that you can pass startx a parameter which gets exec'd.
   Looking through the startx source code, it does look like args are
   passed to the server.  So, as an experiment, I did this:

      startx fluxbox -- :2

   and got a new X server running fluxbox.

Never saw fluxbox before.  Has a nice clean look to it, but I think I'm
going to stick with englightenment since I'm most used to it.

BTW, you may want to seriously consider removing your local installation of
fluxbox and aptitude installing the pre-packaged version.

Pete