2006 Jun 22 22:50

[vox-tech] Reference books (Was: Re: a comment on Pete's fast-loopquestion

[vox-tech] Reference books (Was: Re: a comment on Pete's fast-loopquestion

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 08:13:30PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
[snip]
> Given your explanation above, you might also find Hacker's Delight
> to be enjoyable reading (if you haven't read it already).

Oh I love that book.  I ran into it browsing through the school
bookstore and *had* to buy it.  I think of the book more of a bag of
tricks for embedded systems programmers but I have yet to go through
much of the book yet.  The first trick operation in chapter 2 (figuring
out the rightmost set bit, I think) was one of the IBM pre-interview
questions a semester or two ago, I heard.

Another book I refer to for embedded systems programming tricks is "Math
Toolkit for Real Time Programming" by Jack W. Crenshaw.  Covers things
like integer square roots and integer logorithms.  It's more of an
integer operations book for systems with no floating point math.  Not
really related to what Peter's doing but still cool nonetheless.

-Mark