2006 Jun 17 22:24

[vox-tech] Mp3 Stereo to mono

So I've got a recording originally encoded as stereo even though there was only a mono mic. How can I easily strip off the second channel.
I tried lame:
$lame -m m --mp3input AUDI0001.MP3 AUDI0001e.MP3
and it does result in a mono file 1/2 the size but...

LAME version 3.96.1 (http://lame.sourceforge.net/)
Autoconverting from stereo to mono. Setting encoding to mono mode.
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band: 16538 Hz - 17071 Hz
Encoding AUDI0001.MP3 to AUDI0001b.MP3
Encoding as 44.1 kHz 64 kbps single-ch MPEG-1 Layer III (11x) qval=3
Frame | CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU | ETA
1175/1150 (100%)| 0:01/ 0:01| 0:01/ 0:01| 19.304x| 0:00
average: 64.0 kbps

Writing LAME Tag...done
ReplayGain: +5.3dB

I'm afraid that the lowpass filter and ReplayGain may be messing with the actual audio. Also it's unclear wether its merging channels or eliminating 1 channel. I need to simply eliminate 1 not merge.

Based on info on this page Bladeenc can do it, but I didn't find it in the Ubunutu Repositories at all.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/MP3-HOWTO.html

Any suggestions on this are quite welcome, keep in mind that these audio files are for analysis of bird songs in a scientific setting so any alteration of the actual original audio is unacceptable as we might lose valuable information from filters and adjustments.

Thanks, Alex

PS: The next challenge will be to time tag the files(maybe in the ID3), and remove the dead space between bird calls to save HD space... feel free to make suggestions, I'm not looking forward to handling 3 TB of mp3s at this point.