2006 Jun 13 10:55

Re: [vox-tech] mplayer color problem

I didn't even think to check changing the video driver because the problem
seemed persistant across different applications.  Didn't occur to me that
they could all be using the same video drivers.

The problem seems to only occur with the SDL driver, which is fullscreen.

The x11 driver is windowed and the color looks great.

The gl/gl2 drivers are fullscreen and the colors look great, but my system,
a 3.0GHz P4 with Intel 82865G graphics chipset, is too slow to play the video
with these drivers.  The video stutters badly.

At least I know of a driver that gives me good colors and can play video
without stutter.

But is this graphics chipset really that bad?  The CPU itself is pretty
fast, although at 512MB, the system memory is a bit on the low side.

I've played Quake 3, which uses SDL, on this computer and it plays fine.
When I get home, I'll take a look at the cutscenes and see if they suffer
from the same washed out color.

For now it seems like I need to choose between windowed x11 or full screen
SDL.  I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of MS Windows users.  Video in
either windowed or fullscreen mode at work "just works".   :(  :(

Thanks!
Pete