2006 Jun 12 11:59

Re: [vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

Re: [vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

Rick Moen wrote:

Quoting Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com):

Our hosting service has (without notice) changed our default ssh port from
22 to 22799. This strikes me as an unusual decision, but I am still a
novice at this sort of thing. Why would a host make such a switch (I
won't ask why they wouldn't announce it ahead of time; I'm used to that
level of service from them).

Because they prefer to hide their network services, rather than
concentrate on reducing actual vulnerability.

Every little bit of security/obsfucation helps. Security layers are like an onion. Moving the default port of SSH is just another layer that will throw off a whole bunch of port scanners, and let them concentrate on easier target hosts.
Just changing the SSH port probably removes 90% of the threats with 10% of the effort.

-Just my 2 cents-
-M