2006 Jun 06 01:06

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless problem

On 6/6/06, Richard Harke <rharke@earthlink.net> wrote:
I bought a wireless access point and it works fine with windows,
to my wife's laptop, and to my laptop with either the built-in
(Broadcom) or a PCMCIA card (Netgear prism54)
After a lot of effort, I have the card coming up, (driver loading,
firmware loading) but I still can't pass traffic over it. I found the
docs on wireless extension in the interfaces file and it looks like
every thing is loading OK. iwconfig shows the right key and essid.
ifconfig shows the right IP address. The route table enteries are
just the same for eth1 (wifi)  as for eth0 (ethernet) Except different
IP address. I can't ping my other machine on the local net.
I tried the ping in the other direction, to the IP address I gave
to eth1 my that is no-go also. All the error counts are zero.
The only real clue seems to be a message in dmesg:
no IPV6 routers But why doesn't it use IPV4? i don't see
any config variables for this.

Richard Harke

Hi Richard,

I get the same error when i connect to my wireless router about no PV6 routers so i think that is fine.  I use dhcp for addressing my ip since i go to coffee shops and use the free wifi at school.  I use a dlink dwl-650 ($20 at fry's refurb) and madwifi-ng drivers and no problems.  sometimes it will just not work so i will have to restart iwconfig by directing it to a non existent router and the set it back to the router i want.  have not been able to isolate the problem when this happens to me but this trick seems to work.

Joshua